THIS PAGE IS UNDER DEVELOPMENT
Original music from people diagnosed with developmental and intellectual disabilities has been virtually absent from the world of the arts. Keys To The Studio promotes the creation of original music with a collaborative music project matching professional musicians one-to-one with members of the community of people diagnosed with intellectual and developmental disabilities. It is the first and only such program in Canada to unlock the barriers to self-expression for musicians from this community to reveal their own music.
Keys To The Studio--
* provides access to music creation to an underserved community
* appreciates talent separately from disability
* facilitates the musical expression of the emerging musicians by matching each with a professional to develop skills in singing, musical instruments, improvisation and composition
* integrates the emerging musicians and their music with the public
* raises awareness throughout society, including at the family and caregiver levels, of the capabilities and contributions of persons diagnosed with intellectual and developmental disabilities
Keys To The Studio gives emerging musicians the opportunity to collaborate with professional musicians in one-to-one sessions, rehearsals with bands made up of peers, workshops, recordings, public jam sessions and concert performances.
Professional musicians are trained in the Keys To The Studio approach:
exploration of each emerging musician’s interests, talent and abilities
encouragement of play and improvisation without judgment, and support for skill development tailored to the emerging musician. The emphasis is on the importance of unique personal expression, creativity and artistic voice.